9.12.2005

T minus 54 days



I worked Saturday for a few hours during the day and a couple more late that night, and then more late last night. Lately I'm mostly working after wife and baby are sleeping. This morning I got an hour in before work.

I've been grappling with the huge collage-drawing I'm trying to do. The plan is to mess with it for another week and then decide if it's worth more time of if I should shelve it until after the show.

I was thinking of it in two ways - as a scaled-up version of a smaller drawing, or as an all-over composed hodge podge - as if I'd attached hundreds of smaller works. I've dug out some things I've drawn over the past few years and have been cutting and taping to see how I can get this thing moving.

The basic problem is that when the scale goes up, the lines don't, so things start to get lost and not hold together like they do at smaller sizes. The rules start shifting. The other issue is how to connect everything with glue and tape and not have it buckle and warp.

After a lot of battle I think I'm finding some ways to make it work, but I'm still unconvinced that it'll make it into the show. I'm realizing a lot of my work depends on open space...

On a side note, a good friend helped me by taking several drawings and collages to DC for a show they will be in that opens this weekend. All the smaller works will be in the Second Street show, and probably the bigger drawings too, so the DC show will be a little preview.

---------------------------------------------------

This is a post in series counting down to my solo show at Second Street Gallery. See previous posts: T minus 55 days,T minus 56 days, T minus 57 days.

No comments: