10.10.2005

T minus 25 days



TDOTC Poster 1 (detail of Driving by a grave (for D.D.))

Sunday night I snuck out and stapled up posters all over the Downtown Mall of C'ville. The poster is the image at the top of this post - it's a detail of a drawing that's up at Boundless Yoga in DC right now. Follow the links to download either an 11 x 17 pdf or an 8.5 x 11 pdf for printing yourself. (Update - I took the PDFs down)

I made xerox 11 x 17 posters and went around putting them up. Ususally I'm pretty sneaky but a cop saw me and came over - I thought I was in trouble. He just told me that they'll all be ripped down Moday morning and I should just hang them in the bulletin-board areas. I did that, but saw some old flyers up from weeks ago, so I stopped believing him and hung the rest of my posters all over. I'll be heading downtown tomorrow so I'll be able to see if he was lying.

On the posters is a sock-puppet email. I'm not sure how I'll reply if anyone writes to that email after seeing the posters. The plan is 3 more poster-drops before the show - every Sunday night.

Saturday I delivered some work to ADA Gallery in Richmond and that night I got more small stuff made and tweaked some of the larger pencils.

Sunday I did a lot - more small stuff drawn and I finally ordered all my frames. That was nerve-wracking. Wife, Violet and I also went to get some opening clothes for me - I bought my first suit-jacket in years.

PS Thanks to Shawn at Size Matters of a link to this series.

---------------------------------------------------

This is a post in series counting down to my solo show True Defenders of the Craft at Second Street Gallery. See previous posts: T minus 28 days, T minus 29 days, T minus 30 days, T minus 32 days, T minus 35 days, T minus 37 days, T minus 38 days, T minus 43 days, T minus 44 days, T minus 46 days, T minus 49 days, T minus 51 days, T minus 54 days,T minus 55 days,T minus 56 days, T minus 57 days.

2 comments:

Digital vs. Film said...

Dear Warren,

I'm really enjoying reading your countdown series toward this exhibition - great idea, man!

I'm also having a moment of deja vu reflecting on past experiences with cops and posting flyers in New Orleans - they usually weren't so understanding!

Unfortunately, I can't poster any flyers for you in Reston - being the "planned community" that we are, the hippie generation founders felt that light and telephone poles were uncool, so they banned them (most of our public utility wiring runs underground.)

However, I'll be happy to plaster the front office doors of all the defense contrators based in Reston! ("I love my job working for Haliburton!")

James

Anonymous said...

Thanks man. You'll be seeing my work in Rston soon enough... I'll spill those beans later.

w