8.26.2005

PostSecret Ripoff (not)



Both yesterday and this morning, early early (Violet likes to get up and be cute) I had MTV on and saw a new video from a pretty and processed rock band All-American Rejects called "Dirty Little Secrets" that completely looks like Frank Warren's PostSecret project.

Warren has folks send in anonymous cards with secrets on them - some are visual and elaborate. The video has cards with secrets that look like those on Warren's site. On their website they encourage people to post secrets.

If Warren isn't getting a piece of the action, I'd tell him to call a lawyer.

PS- That posted secret above isn't from me. My brother and I used to march around to Welk when we were little, but we never got high. Except on Welk's magical way with sweet sweet music.

----------------

UPDATE - I'm an idiot - they give him credit here. I just hope he got paid...

-----------------

UPDATED UPDATE - He did get paid, or rather got a charity paid, according to this from The Daily Reveille:

...Warren, who said he began the project to share a secret of his own, has also chosen to link the Web site with the national suicide prevention hotline, Hopeline.

He is a volunteer for Hopeline, answering phone calls from people in crisis at the mental health association of Montgomery County. He contacted president and founder Reese Butler when the producer of the All-American Rejects video approached him to use the cards.

“I was contacted by the producer of the video,” Warren said. “They offered a me $1,000 [to use the postcards], and I suggested that they donate $2,000 to the suicide prevention hotline.”...

Thanks to commenter Alexandra for the link and Wow, good job Mr. Warren - though I think 2K is a little cheap for them to use his idea. In honor of my dumbness at jumping at this too quickly I just made a donation to Hopeline too.

8 comments:

Alexandra said...

That's crazy. wow. Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

jeez, you really look like a fool here. this was already worked out between the two parties. gather your data before you cry wolf.

Anonymous said...

sorry - if thats true I couldnt find it anywhere yet - got a link? I'd be happy to eat this if it means he's not being ripped off.

-w

Anonymous said...

ok, found a link - updated the post - yes anonymous, I'm a fool... Too bad the sond isnt better....

-w

Alexandra said...

check this out. it talks about the deal between Warren & All-American Rejects.

Anonymous said...

Warren got his first rude comment. Way to go man! You're one of us!

Only 837 more until you catch up with me.

JT

w said...

ha ha HA - what's really funny is I kind of deserved it!

-wwc

Anonymous said...

Dear Warren,

Jesus Christ, man, I just heard on CBN's "The 700 Club" that you've called upon the U.S. Government to take out Fidel Castro! Is this true? Do I need to update my Pat Robertson post (again) on my site? :)

James

P.S. Talk about nasty notes, wait till you read the email correspondence I'm posting next week me and a newspaper editor in Aruba regarding my "Arlene Ellis Schipper" series!