12.02.2008

SPX 2008 and Ignatz nomination



I'm trying to catch up on things that happened over the fall since I fell off the blogging cliff...

In early October I went to the Small Press Expo in Bethesda MD. I was nominated for an Ignatz Award for Outstanding Artist for my book HOW TO BE EVERYWHERE. I didn't win, but it was nice to have my weird, sort-of comics recognized at SPX which is mostly indy and alt comics. The nominating panel was a group of artists I respect a lot so not winning wasn't too bad. From their website:
The Ignatz Awards are a celebration of outstanding achievement in comics and cartooning, the nominees being determined by a jury of five comic artists.

This year’s jury consisted of Gabrielle Bell, Farel Dalrymple, Eleanor Davis, John Hankiewicz and Andy Hartzell.

The Ignatz, named after George Herriman's brick-wielding mouse, recognizes exceptional work that challenges popular notions of what comics can achieve, both as an art form and as a means of personal expression.

The Ignatz Awards are a festival prize, the first of such in the United States comic book industry. The Ignatz Awards are voted on by those who attend this year's SPX on Saturday, October 4 only.

I only bought a few things at SPX - it was jammed with exhibitors but just like last year there were only a dozen or so booths with anything interesting. Big thanks to Alvin at Buenaventura Press for giving me table space and letting me play store, and ahoy to pals KH and TG for hanging out.

No comments: