6.02.2005

Roundup


Gary Panter, pages from DalTokyo

First, I've added a few links to the side area. James Bailey is a DC-area photographer and blog-haunter who makes all kinds of crazy art. New Images is a blog by Hans Heiner Buhr, a German artist living in Tbilisi, Georgia. His blog is great - scoll down for pictures of his son in their studio. Gary Panter is one of the greatest ink-warrior artists of all time.

Also, Slate has a slideshow about Basquiat by Lee Siegel that hits some of the same points I did here.

-----------------------------------------------------

Second, theres a few opportunities to look out for. The National Portrait Gallery's Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition 2006 gives you a shot at 25K - J.T. Kirkland writes about it here, entry form here (Deadline September 6).

There's still a few more days to apply for the WPA/C show SEVEN, curated by F. Lennox Campello, assisted by Sandra Fernandez and Adrian Schneck. Campello has frequent updates on his DCArtNews blog about how the show is coming together. Deadline June 10.

Here in C'ville, there's an annual public art competition, Art In Place. I have sneaky plans for my entry (there are clues in my sketchbook posted on this blog). Deadline July 1.


-----------------------------------------------------

Finally, this Friday is First Friday here in C'ville, so lots of art to see.

Second Street Gallery has Anne Kesler Shields through August.

At the McGuffey Art Center Gloria Mitchell will be exhibiting in the Main Gallery, with
Reba Peck and Lindsay Michie Eadea in the lower hall galleries and August Rolin in the upper hall gallery.

I'm sure there's cool stuff at Nature, but they need to update their site.

CODG has "situations".

There's more - I'll post more as I find info.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Secret Blog Window” by James W. Bailey (A crazy Mississippi artist who regularly wears his long sleeve shirts buttoned to the neck, owns and sports a wide brim black hat and often dreams of being an Amish hit man.)

For Warren and family

James W. Bailey: You stole my sbook.

Warren Craghead: I'm... I'm sorry, do I...I don't believe I know you.

James W. Bailey: I know that, that doesn't matter, I know you Mr. Craghead, that's what matters. You stole my sketches from my sbook. [holding out his sbook to Warren]

Warren Craghead: You're mistaken. I don't review other sbooks.

James W. Bailey: You reviewed this one already. You stole it.

Warren Craghead: I can assure you...

James W. Bailey: I know you can. I know that. I don't want to be assured.

Warren Craghead: If you want to talk to somebody about some grievance you feel you may have, you can call my art agent.

James W. Bailey: This is between you and me. [looks at Picasso, Warren’s rottweiler standing on the porch] We don't need no outsiders, Mr. Craghead.

Warren Craghead: I don't like being accused of plagiarism, if that is in fact what you are accusing me of. Picassco inside! [Picassco goes back inside]

James W. Bailey: I don't blame you for not liking it but you did it.

Warren Craghead: You're gonna have to leave. I have nothing more to say.

James W. Bailey: Yeah, I'll go. We'll talk more later. [hands the sbook to Warren to take it]

Warren Craghead: I'm not taking that.

James W. Bailey: Won't do you no good to play games with me, Mr. Craghead. This has got to be settled.

Warren Craghead: As far as I'm concerned it is.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I say we act ths perfomance out, in costume, on the steps of the Corcoran. I don't have a pooch, but I can bring a stuffed animal.